Wednesday, July 15, 2009

How About a Round of Applause

I don't live in New York City, and I'm guessing most of our readers don't live there either. So when it comes to choosing what to do and where go, I sometimes rely on local experts to assist me.

That's particularly true for Broadway shows. I don't get to see nearly as many as I'd like, so when my wife and I have the opportunity to see a show, we want to get an honest opinion before we spend our money.

Thankfully we have our friends at Applause Theater and Entertainment. They know Broadway. They know Off-Broadway too. And they don't pull any punches.

Sure, they sell tickets; that's their livelihood. But they're real people - Rich, Todd, Bill, Carol, Billy, Claudia, J, Eric and the rest of the crew - who aren't going to sell something just for the sake of making a sale. They'll give me/us/you an honest opinion based on my/our/your likes and expectations. Now where in the name of Sam Internet can you get that anymore?

Todd recently wrote about a potential customer who wanted to buy tickets to Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig's upcoming play, Steady Rain.

"...she said I just loved Hugh Jackman in THE BOY FROM OZ. I told her I could get her great seats for the date she was looking for...however the previous comment made me ask whether she knew anything about the play.

"It is a new play by Keith Huff about love and rage on the streets of Chicago as a domestic disturbance call sends two Chicago cops, friends since childhood, on a harrowing journey that will test their loyalties and change their lives forever. During a routine day, a pair of seasoned policemen, Denny and Joey, return a panic-stricken boy to his guardian. The two protagonists relate their shared story from very different perspectives, giving a picture of family in all its forms, along with the questionable moral choices made in its name. As their lifelong friendship is put to the ultimate test, both men must deal with honor and loyalty in the face of adversity.

"This particular customer thanked me as she said she was sure that would not be suitable for her and her friend."

So when all was said and done, no sale. No dissatisfied customer either.

Can you imagine how this woman would have felt as she sat listening to a hard-hitting play with harder-hitting street language, all the time expecting Hugh Jackman to break into song and dance?

Meanwhile, Steady Rain sounds like something I'd want to see.

But back to my original subject.

At NYCVP, we've relied on Applause for 10 years. We rely on them not just for their opinions and reviews, and not just for their vast inventory of hard-to-get tickets, and not just because they make it so easy to do business, but mostly because we like them. They're genuinely nice people who have also become friends.

Here's what I suggest you do:

If you're looking to purchase theater tickets, call Applause at 800 451-9930 or go online to www.applause-tickets.com

If you are looking to purchase a complete NYC vacation including accommodations, with or without theater tickets or sightseeing, call NYCVP at 877 NYC-TRiP or go online to www.nyctrip.com.

Either way you'll get the best advice and best service you'll find anywhere.

And you'll make new friends too.

No comments: